Monday, July 23, 2012

MC Yogi - Pilgrimage (Another Review)

If you haven't already checked out MC Yogi's latest album, Pilgrimage, do it ASAP. Elizabeth wrote a review some weeks back on his new album, you can check that out here.

You know how sometimes a song gets stuck in your head for way much longer than you'd like it to be? Well, I've been listening to this album on loop for the past few days and ALL night Saturday I had the song Shiva stuck in my head. Sunday morning when I awoke, it was still there and remained drumming through my mind for the rest of the day. I was going crazy. I tried singing other songs to get it out, I tried listening to other songs to drown it out...nothing worked.
The only thing I could do was blast it, sing along, and totally enjoy. You'd think at this point I'd be so sick of it that the last thing I'd want to do was listen to it, but I'm still LOVING and playing it over and over along with the rest of the album!

There is so much world beat going on throughout this album...kicking off the album with brass horns, incorporating reggae, hip-hop, dancehall, dub, banghra beats, Bollywood and more. As a whole, this album flows seamlessly together with transitioning tracks containing the hustling sounds of India: rickshaw engines riding by sounding their horns, faint Indian music playing, mantras being chanted, and my favorite, India's "house crow" cawing. I can't help but smile during those tracks because the sounds are so right on to exactly what you'd hear while walking down a street in India. It makes me miss it! MC Yogi's Pilgrimage through India was just that you see on his album cover. The sacred mountain Arunachala in the background. His enlightening experience traveling through India was very much present throughout this album, spilling out into his tracks. Well done, MC Yogi. Well done!


Be well,
Lauren Forney

Lauren Forney HHC, RYT founder of Center Your Health, is a Holistic Health Counselor and Registered Yoga Teacher based in Red Bank, NJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment